What to eat
- See also: What is a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet?
- Whole Food, Plant-Based Diet Guide – **NEW** T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies
- The Forks Over Knives Diet – a clear explanation of what to eat
- Dr. McDougall’s Color Picture Book Food Poisoning And How to Cure It, by Eating Beans, Corn, Pasta, Potatoes, Rice, etc. – A simple picture book explaining what to eat and what not to eat on a low-fat whole foods plant-based (starch-based) diet – available as a downloadable PDF
- McDougall Quick-Start program – includes 3 x 1 hr lectures by Dr John and Mary McDougall. Excellent for understanding the ‘what’ and the ‘how’ to eat.
- Foods not allowed – Dr John McDougall, includes possible substitutes
- Clarifying Carbohydrates: Making The Complex Simple – Jeff Novick. This post clearly explains which carbs you should eat and which you should avoid.
- What to Eat (38 min. video) – Ann Esselstyn. These tips are particularly important for anyone with heart disease.
- Practical tips for preparing healthy and delicious plant-based meals – Prepared by Australian dietitians Sue Radd & Kate Marsh
- See Meal Plans
- See Recipes
How to eat
Mary McDougall gives practical tips on how to make it work by keeping it simple, meal planning, centering meals around the starch and keeping the kitchen well stocked.
- Fast Food: The Basics – with Jeff Novick MS RD **NEW** (2 hr video). An excellent guide to cooking quick and easy (healthy!) meals
- Healthy Cooking Made Easy: How to Succeed Without Really Trying – Jeff Novick, RD. 8-page PDF handout that includes simple recipes and the basics for stocking your pantry
- Keeping it Simple on a Whole Foods Plant-Based Diet – Emma Roche (from PlantPlate)
- Easy Meals to Make You Thin – Chef AJ (15 min. video)
- How to eat plant strong
- Preparing Plant Strong Meals
- How to cook without oil
Key transition websites:
McDougall Program & Dr McDougall’s Health & Medical Centre. Lots of resources available here – have a look at the health and science topics, check out the Free McDougall program for meal plans and advice on getting started, search the newsletter archives, browse the testimonials for inspiration from others’ journeys. Have a read of the 3 newsletter articles – Mary in your kitchen, Mary McDougall’s tips for changing your lifestyle:
- Making the change to a healthy lifestyle work in your life, part 1 – includes tips for getting started and how to deal with resistance from friends and family
- Making the change to a healthy lifestyle work in your life, part 2 – includes tips about meal planning and shopping
- Making the change to a healthy lifestyle work in your life, part 3 – includes cooking techniques for legumes, cooking without oil and use of seasonings.
- The McDougall Program Free Resources – a useful list of all the free resources provided by the McDougall program
PlantPlate – excellent articles written to help you transition to plant-based eating. Check out these links:
PCRM – Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine:
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diets – links to factsheets, starter kit and the 21-day Vegan Kickstart Program
See also: Websites
Page created 27 November 2014
Page last updated 19 January 2018