This web page includes health practitioners in Australia and New Zealand who are wholly supportive and knowledgeable about whole foods plant-based nutrition and have completed the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate (eCornell) or equivalent. See note below for more information about inclusion.
- Dr Malcolm Mackay – GP, FASLM, Melbourne (Fitzroy), available for Telehealth (Zoom) consultations. Nutritionist (Grad Dip Hum Nut), Board Certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician (IBLM/ASLM)
Website: Dr Malcolm Mackay (links to current practice location and booking form for telehealth consultations within Australia)
Nutrition website: (co-author of this website) Whole Foods Plant Based Health
- Dr Chan Ngo – GP (female), Melbourne (Maribynong/Glenroy)
Practice location: Ultimate Health Care, Level 4, Highpoint Shopping Centre, Maribynong, ph. 9317 7000; also Doctors of Glenroy, 9-15 Glenroy Rd, Hadfield
- Dr Rasika Amarasekera – GP, Melbourne
Practice location: tbc
- Dr Niyati Sharma – Dermatologist, Melbourne (Preston)
Practice location: Inside Out Dermatology, available for Telehealth consultations within Australia.
- Dr Andrew Pennington – GP, Sydney area
Practice location: Sanctuary Lifestyle Clinic, Waitara, NSW
- Dr Chantal Bardella – GP, Sydney area
Victoria Tower Medical, Burwood, NSW**On leave until December 2020**
- Dr Emma Campbell – GP, Newcastle area
Practice location: ATUNE Health Centres, Macquarie Rd, Warner’s Bay, NSW
Dr Paul Wood – GP, Kempsey, NSW
Practice location: **Overseas during 2019**
- Dr Stephanie Dakin – GP, Canberra, BAppSc (Nutrition)
Practice location: Fisher Family Practice
- Dr Andrew Morris – GP, Canberra, Board Certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician (IBLM/ASLM)
Website: Morris Wellness (Kingston, ACT)
- Dr Celine Gol, GP, Brisbane, Board Certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician (IBLM/ASLM)
Practice location: Hamilton Medical Centre
- Dr Julie Van Der Klift, GP, Brisbane
Practice location: Carseldine Family Clinic (Carseldine) NB Need to ask for a plant-based appointment; also Midway Medical Redcliffe
- Dr Emma Sedlacek, GP, Mackay, Board Certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician (IBLM/ASLM)
Practice location: Health On Central (Andergrove, Qld)
- Dr Adrian Griscti, GP, FASLM, Angaston SA
Practice location: Angaston Medical Centre
- Dr Alyce Churchill, GP Registrar, Perth
Practice location: GP on Beaufort (Mount Lawley) **New from May 2020**
Dr Leslie Jones & Dr Trenton Healy – GPs, Busselton, WA
Practice location: Duchess Medical Practice
- Dr Mark Craig – GP, Auckland
Website: True South Medical
Practice location: Four Kauri Family Medical Centre
- Dr Luke Wilson – Wellington
Board Certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician (IBLM/ASLM)
Website: Two Zesty Bananas
- Dr Matt Hobbs – GP, Rolleston
Practice location: Rolleston Medical Centre
- Dr Sue Genner – GP, Tauranga
Practice location: Pyes Pa Clinic
- Dr Martyn Williamson – GP, Alexandra, Central Otago
Practice location: Centennial Health
- Dr Nick Wright – GP, Dunedin
Board Certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician (IBLM/ASLM)
Practice location: Amity Health Centre
- Lucy Taylor – Dietitian and Nutritionist, Melbourne
Website: Bloom Nutritionist
- Peter Johnston – PhD, Dietitian, Melbourne, available for telehealth consultations
Website: Perfect Human Food
- Amanda Benham – Dietitian, Brisbane, available for telehealth or phone consultations.
Website: The Human Herbivore
- Emma Strutt – Dietitian, Boonah, QLD, available for telehealth consultations.
Website: Greenstuff Nutrition
Other health practitioners
- Jenny Cameron – Nutritionist, Health Coach, Grad Cert Human Nutrition, Melbourne, available for Zoom consultations.
Website: (co-author of this website) Whole Foods Plant Based Health
- Robyn Chuter – Nutritionist/Counsellor/Certified Lifestyle Medicine Practitioner, Gold Coast, also Sydney 2 days per fortnight and available for Zoom consultations.
Website: Empower Total Health
- Dr Heleen Roex-Haitjema – MD, Paediatrician (n.p.), PCRM Food For Life Instructor, Adelaide
Website: Doctors For Nutrition
Check Dr Roex Facebook page for upcoming Food For Life seminars (Adelaide)
- Andrew Taylor – Health Coach, Melbourne and Online. Provides private and group coaching to assist people to overcome food addiction.
Website: Spud Fit
- Alison Moore – Credentialed Mental Health Nurse, Lifestyle Coach, Geelong area
Practice location: Adaptive Integrated Health Centre, Leopold, Vic.
- Larisa Freiverts – Family therapist/counsellor/EMDR therapy
(MAClinFamTher; BSc). Melbourne. Available Zoom/phone consultations.
- Nutritional Update for Physicians: Plant-Based Diets – Tuso, P.J. et al. 2013. “The objective of this article is to present to physicians an update on plant-based diets.” If your doctor is unaware of the benefits of a plant-based diet you could offer them this article.
- Melina, V., Craig, W., & Levin, S. (2016). Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 116(12) – this article is useful if you feel the need to defend your position that plant-based diets are appropriate for you at whatever stage in the lifecycle you are… “It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. These diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, older adulthood, and for athletes.”
- How to Find a Plant-Based Doctor – If you are searching for a plant-based doctor in your area and cannot find one, don’t despair – Dr Esselstyn and dietitian Jeff Novick have shared their ideas about how to educate yourself and your doctor about plant based nutrition.
Resources for practitioners
- Doctors For Nutrition – Australian health charity with a mission to inspire the healthcare sector, policy makers and society at large to adopt whole food plant-based nutrition as a powerful tool in disease prevention and care. Subscribe to their mailing list for notification of events for healthcare practitioners.
- The Plantrician Project
- Nutrition for Clinicians – PCRM
- Is a Vegetarian Diet Adequate? – originally published as a supplementary section of the Medical Journal of Australia to reassure the medical profession that nutrient needs can be met on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
NB Those included in these lists are noted as being ‘vegetarian friendly’ and are not necessarily following or aware of whole food plant-based nutrition.
- Whole Food Plant Based Doctors & Health Practitioners (New Zealand)
- Plant Based Docs – A division of the Plantrician Project
- American College of Lifestyle Medicine – Find a practitioner – (enter search term country or state, e.g. Australia)
Plant-Based Practitioners personal journeys:
- My Journey from Doctor to MS Patient … and Back – Thanks to Plant-Based Eating! – Saray Stancic, MD. Listen to this podcast interview with Dr Stancic by Dr Laurie Marbas: Dr. Saray Stancic: Reversing Multiple Sclerosis and Running a Marathon
- Watching “Forks Over Knives” Changed This Doctor’s Life—and Career – Steven Lome, DO (October 2017)
- After a Stroke, This Doctor Reversed Her Lupus With a Plant-Based Diet – Brooke Goldner, MD (October 2016)
- After a Heart Attack and Bypass at 40, This Doctor Changed His Lifestyle and Reversed His Heart Disease – Rajiv Misquitta, MD
- How I Got Rid of Extra Weight, Prediabetes, Depression, and Inspired My Patients To Do the Same – Kerry Graff (September 2015)
- How This Family Doctor Lost 75 Pounds Easily Without Portion Control – Steve Lawenda, MD, Family Physician (May 2015)
- Evan got rid of his Fatty Liver and lost weight – (video) Evan, Family Physician
- Forks Over Knives Changed My Health and How I Treat My Patients – James Loomis, MD
- Dr. Conway on his heart disease reversal with plant-based nutrition – (video) Jim Conway, MD, Orthopedic Surgeon. More about Dr Conway: Doctor Empowers Patients Through Plant-Based Diets
- The Plant-Based Doctor Mom – Dr Padma Garvey, gynecologist
Note: We will only be listing individual practitioners on this page who are experts in whole food plant-based nutrition and have completed the eCornell Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate (or equivalent). Their approach to plant-based nutrition must be consistent with ours – which is a low-fat whole food plant-based approach and includes advocating for the avoidance of added oils and other highly processed foods. Preference is given to practitioners that we have met in person or who we have networked with.
Page created 3 April 2015
Page last updated 26 June 2020