Changing to a whole foods plant based (WFPB) diet can be difficult if you don’t have the support of family and friends. Connecting with others who are on this journey is a powerful way of staying motivated and keeping on track. There are a growing number of people in Australia, including health practitioners, who are finding out about the benefits of plant-based nutrition and we endeavour to bring people together to add strength to the WFPB movement. The following are some of the resources, education and communities that may find supportive your journey:
- We run introductory seminars for people transitioning to a WFPB diet. See Plant-Based Nutrition Seminars for upcoming sessions (mostly in the Melbourne area, but will consider other locations).
- We are collecting names of health practitioners who are supportive of WFPB nutrition and listing them if they are using WFPB in their practice (see Plant-Based Health Practitioners)
- There is an online Facebook group called Whole Food Plant-Based Aussies which provides support for people eating a low-fat whole foods plant-based diet for health and meet-up groups in various Australian cities (see list of Plant Pure Nation meet-up groups below).
- There are several international online support groups we recommend: McDougall Friends for those following the diet advocated by Dr John McDougall. If you are not on Facebook you can join the Dr John McDougall online discussion forum where you can post questions or just search to find answers to your question. The forum section run by Jeff Novick, RD contains a wealth of information.
- Refer to the Meal Plans page for links to people/organisations providing meal plans to get started on a WFPB diet.
- Refer to the Recipes page for links to blogs and websites featuring WFPB or low-fat vegan recipes. We are excited to include some new Australian websites featuring WFPB recipes.
Plant Pure Nation Meet-up groups:
There are a number of meet-up groups around Australia who are supporting the mission of the film Plant Pure Nation, which is to spread the message of plant-based nutrition at the local community level. See the pod website and join up to show solidarity with this mission: Plant Pure Pods
(and make sure you also join the group for your city)
The meet-up groups are using Facebook for communicating group activities. If you are not on Facebook you can always contact the group facilitators via the pod website above. The focus of these groups is around planning regular meet-ups so people can connect and share knowledge about a whole food plant based diet. Below are the links to the Australian Facebook meet-up groups:
- Plant Powered Adelaide
- Plant Powered Brisbane
- Plant Powered Central Coast (NSW)
- Plant Powered Melbourne
- Plant Powered Perth
- Plant Powered Sydney
- Plant Powered Toowoomba
Page last updated 9 April 2017