Most experts will say diet has nothing to do with the cause or treatment of MS, despite there being evidence that a low fat plant based diet can halt progression of this disease:
In my research, I have yet to see a study which says that a sensible diet will not help victims of multiple sclerosis. In fact, the scientific evidence published to date provides evidence supporting the benefit of diet for victims of this debilitating disease. Is the evidence offered so far adequate for you to take action? – Dr John McDougall – Multiple Sclerosis: The Cause
Unfortunately diet is still not being presented to MS sufferers as a viable treatment.
Dr John McDougall has a particular interest in MS and diet and is currently doing research in this area. Dr McDougall recommends a low-fat diet consisting of starches, vegetables and fruits. He has a number of useful Multiple Sclerosis resources on his website, including the Hot Topics: Multiple Sclerosis page with links to videos, McDougall newsletter articles, testimonials/success stories and peer-reviewed research papers. This excellent presentation by Dr John McDougall (1 hour 7 min. video) covers the causes and treatment of Multiple Sclerosis:
See also: Vitamin D page for the latest on Vitamin D research
- Code Blue – Documentary film featuring Dr Saray Stancic
- Recovering from Multiple Sclerosis with dietary and lifestyle changes – Dr Sam Garland
- Multiple Sclerosis and Plant-Based Nutrition – Conor Kerley, PhD
- Treating Multiple Sclerosis with Diet: Fact or Fraud? – Dr John McDougall
- Multiple Sclerosis: The Cause – Dr John McDougall
- Hot Topics: Multiple Sclerosis page – Dr John McDougall
- Diet and Multiple Sclerosis – Dr John McDougall (1 hour 7 min. video)
- Treating Multiple Sclerosis With the Swank MS Diet – Dr Michael Greger (9 min. video). This brief video covers the peer reviewed literature on Multiple Sclerosis. See also the associated blog post: Treating Multiple Sclerosis With Diet
- Autoimmune Disease: Genes, Infection, Environment & Gut – Thomas Campbell, MD
Dr Roy Swank was a pioneer in this area more than 50 years ago:
- Roy Swank, MD: Multiple Sclerosis Cure (the 5th Estate TV Show)
- Roy Swank, MD: Multiple Sclerosis Pioneer – Plus a Conversation with Dr. McDougall – it is particularly interesting 33 minutes in when Swank and McDougall discuss ‘blood sludging’ after a fatty meal (direct link to 33 minute mark)
- Swank, R. L., & Goodwin, J. (2003). Review of MS patient survival on a Swank low saturated fat diet. Nutrition, 19(2), 161-162.
- Fitzgerald, K. C., Tyry, T., Salter, A., Cofield, S. S., Cutter, G., Fox, R., & Marrie, R. A. (2018). Diet quality is associated with disability and symptom severity in multiple sclerosis. Neurology, 90(1), e1-e11.
- Guggenmos, J., Schubart, A. S., Ogg, S., Andersson, M., Olsson, T., Mather, I. H., & Linington, C. (2004). Antibody cross-reactivity between myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein and the milk protein butyrophilin in multiple sclerosis. The Journal of Immunology, 172(1), 661-668.
- Riccio, P. (2011). The molecular basis of nutritional intervention in multiple sclerosis: A narrative review. Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 19(4), 228-237.
- Saresella, M., Mendozzi, L., Rossi, V., Mazzali, F., Piancone, F., LaRosa, F., . . . Clerici, M. (2017). Immunological and clinical effect of diet modulation of the gut microbiome in multiple sclerosis patients: A pilot study. Frontiers in Immunology, 8, 1391.
- Sumowski, J. F., McDonnell, G. V., & Bourdette, D. (2018). Diet in multiple sclerosis: Science takes a seat at the table. Neurology, 90(1), 14-15.
- A story of debilitating multiple sclerosis to an Ironman trialthete using a whole food plant-based diet – Conor Devine
- TMI – My Life Before Recovery – Obesity, Constipation, Fibromyalgia, Depression & MS – Corinne Nijjer.
- See also Corinne’s podcast channel where she posts interviews with people who have reversed chronic disease (some with MS) using a whole food plant-based diet, including Rebecca Stonor and Stephanie Magalis
- Dr. Saray Stancic: Reversing Multiple Sclerosis and Running a Marathon – 50 min. podcast interview with Dr Laurie Marbas **NEW** See also Tackling MS with a Plant-Based Diet: Saray Stancic, M.D.
- From Scared School Boy with MS to Doctor of Nutrition – Conor Kerley, PhD
- How a Plant-based Diet Healed My Body from Multiple Sclerosis – Angela Zagoren, PhD (Psychology), October 2016
- Rebecca no longer suffers from MS – (10 min. video)
- Kim Hoffman: Beating MS – (written story)
- Karen Cooper, MSW, LICSW: “I Can’t Have MS!” – (written story)
- Deb Tasic: Stops Multiple Sclerosis – (written story)
- Donna McFarland: Diagnosed with MS; Food Became My Medicine – (written story)
- Herbie of the Week: Debbie M – (written story)
- My Journey from Doctor to MS Patient… and Back – Thanks to Plant-Based Eating! – Saray Stancic, MD
- Plant Based Slow Motion Miracle – Maria shares how eating low fat whole plants and starches changed her health and her life with MS, Fibromyalgia, and mild Cerebral Palsy.
Page created 19 January 2013
Page last updated 19 October 2018