“Inflammatory forms of arthritis, like rheumatoid, Lupus, psoriatic, and ankylosing spondylitis are all very responsive to the McDougall Program. About 70% of people with rheumatoid arthritis (the most common form of inflammatory arthritis) can expect dramatic benefits, and often a cure, in less than 4 weeks of diet change”
– Dr John McDougall
Dr John McDougall presents ‘Inflammatory arthritis’ at the McDougall September, 2014, Advanced Study Weekend, in Santa Rosa, California
- Putting Rheumatoid Arthritis into remission with Clint Paddison – **NEW** Plant Proof Podcast (2hrs 11 min). The level of detail they go into in this podcast is so helpful for people to understand what it takes to settle a condition like rheumatoid arthritis. It is worth taking the time to listen to – for those suffering inflammatory arthritis and also for practitioners who help clients with these conditions.
- Diet: Only Hope for Arthritis – Dr John McDougall. Discusses mechanisms, and includes many references to peer-reviewed studies.
- Arthritis – Dr John McDougall discusses both degenerative and inflammatory arthritis
- Ten Cases of Severe, mostly Rheumatoid, Arthritis Cured by the McDougall Diet – includes links to individual stories, many of which are listed below in Success stories.
- The Paddison Program for Rheumatoid Arthritis – Clint Paddison himself has reversed his RA with a low fat whole food plant-based diet and he provides support for other RA sufferers. His Podcast/Blog includes many cases of reversal of RA and other inflammatory arthritis conditions, some of which are featured in the Success stories below.
- Plant-Based Diets for Rheumatoid Arthritis – This extensive NutritionFacts blog by Dr Michael Greger pulls together what is known about the progression of autoimmune diseases, inflammation and the consumption of animal foods. Click on the various links to see short videos on various aspects of this topic.
- PCRM: Foods and Arthritis – includes a Four-Week Anti-Arthritis diet adapted from Dr Neal Barnard’s book: Foods that fight pain.
- Q&A: Diet, Arthritis, and Autoimmune Diseases – Dr Michael Klaper
- Arthritis: a Challenging Second Opinion – Dr John McDougall, chapter on Arthritis from the book McDougall’s Medicine
- Brooke Goldner, MD – Doctor, nutritionist, author of the book Goodbye Lupus who has reversed her own lupus with plant-based nutrition
- See our page on Elimination diets
Peer reviewed articles
- Clinton, C. M., O’Brien, S., Law, J., Renier, C. M., & Wendt, M. R. (2015). Whole-foods, plant-based diet alleviates the symptoms of osteoarthritis. Arthritis, 2015, 708152.
- Kjeldsen-Kragh, J., Borchgrevink, C. F., Laerum, E., Haugen, M., Eek, M., Frre, O., . . . Hovi, K. (1991). Controlled trial of fasting and one-year vegetarian diet in rheumatoid arthritis. The Lancet, 338(8772), 899-902.
- Lithell, H., Bruce, A., Gustafsson, I. B., Hoglund, N. J., Karlstrom, B., Ljunghall, K., . . . Vessby, B. (1983). A fasting and vegetarian diet treatment trial on chronic inflammatory disorders. Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 63(5), 397-403 – Whereas subjects experienced relief from symptoms during a period of fasting, the symptoms returned after introducing a vegan diet rich in fats and oils. This illustrates the need for a vegan diet to be low-fat.
- McDougall, J., Bruce, B., Spiller, G., Westerdahl, J., & McDougall, M. (2002). Effects of a very low-fat, vegan diet in subjects with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 8(1), 71-75.
- I was diagnosed with crippling Rheumatoid arthritis, plant-based eating gave me my life back – Donna Pehi
- Reversal of psoriatic arthritis with a whole food plant-based diet –
Kate Dunbar/Shireen Kassam
- Treating inflammatory arthritis with a whole food plant-based diet –
Jackie Morrey-Grace/Shireen Kassam
- Recovering from Rheumatoid Arthritis with Clint Paddison: PYP 272 – (1hr 26min podcast) interview with Howard Jacobson
- Reversing Rheumatoid Arthritis – with Clint Paddison (59min podcast) – Clint discusses his long journey to wellness, eventually discovering that a modified version of a low-fat whole food plant-based diet could reverse his disease.
- Maralyn Millar: Pain & Discomfort Free from Rheumatoid Arthritis (video)
- Alisa Overpowers Rheumatoid Arthritis (podcast/video) – this one is fascinating for the insight it provides into how a young woman (18 at diagnosis) deals with a chronic disease like rheumatoid arthritis
- After a Stroke, This Doctor Reversed Her Lupus With a Plant-Based Diet – Brooke Goldner, MD
- Reversing Psoriatic Arthritis Naturally with Nicole (A Clint Paddison Podcast/Video, 58 min) – Nicole discusses how she reversed her psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis with a whole food plant-based diet
- How I Reversed Crippling Rheumatoid Arthritis With a Plant-Based Diet – Emily Brandehoff (written story). Also listen to her podcast interview with Clint Paddison: Reversing RA Joint Pain With Emily
- Paula: No Longer Suffers from the Debilitating Effects of Rheumatoid Arthritis (10 min video) – This is a very moving story
- Leslie Craine: Cured RA (rheumatoid arthritis) – written story
- Jackie Swoboda: Cured Rheumatoid Arthritis (10 min video) – This is an inspiring story of a woman who got her life back by following a McDougall starch-based diet.
- Phyllis Heaphy: Cured of Rheumatoid Arthritis (9 min video plus written comments) – Phyllis discusses her recovery from severe rheumatoid arthritis then Dr McDougall speaks about rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune disease in general.
- Jean Brown: Cures Rheumatoid Arthritis (written story) – plus comments from Dr McDougall
- Meredith Fishman: Running Marathons after Debilitating Rheumatoid Arthritis (written story)
- Juliea Baker: Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (video plus written story and comments from Dr McDougall)
- Amy Fewel: Cures Herself of Rheumatoid Arthritis (written story)
- Debbie Cockrell: Rheumatoid Arthritis (written story)
- My Hands Were Crippled With Arthritis – Syd from Scotland
- Reversing Lupus on a Plant-Based Diet – Vickie Hajash
- Vanessa: Lupus Nephritis – A McDougall Success Story with comments from Dr McDougall
Page created December 2013
Last updated 22 July 2017