What to eat
- What is a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet?
- Whole Food, Plant-Based Diet Guide – **NEW** T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies
- What Is a Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet? – Alona Pulde, MD and Matthew Lederman, MD
- Dr. McDougall’s Color Picture Book Food Poisoning And How to Cure It, by Eating Beans, Corn, Pasta, Potatoes, Rice, etc. – A simple picture book explaining what to eat and what not to eat on a low-fat whole foods plant-based (starch-based) diet
- Food not allowed – Dr John McDougall, includes possible substitutes
- Clarify Carbs: Making The Complex Simple – Jeff Novick. This post very clearly explains which carbs you should eat and which you should avoid.
- Ann Esselstyn: 8 tips on healthy eating – see also her presentation What to Eat (38 min. video). These tips are particularly important for anyone with heart disease.
- Practical tips for preparing healthy and delicious plant-based meals – Prepared by Australian dietitians Sue Radd & Kate Marsh as part of a supplement to the Medical Journal of Australia in June 2012
- See Meal Plans
- See Recipes
How to eat
Mary McDougall gives practical tips on how to make it work by keeping it simple, meal planning, centering meals around the starch and keeping the kitchen well stocked.
- Keeping it Simple on a Whole Foods Plant-Based Diet – Emma Roche (from PlantPlate)
- How to eat plant strong
- Preparing Plant Strong Meals
- How to cook without oil
McDougall Program & Dr McDougall’s Health & Medical Centre. Lots of resources available here – have a look at the health and science topics, check out the Free McDougall program for meal plans and advice on getting started, search the newsletter archives, browse the testimonials for inspiration from others’ journeys. Have a read of the 3 newsletter articles – Mary in your kitchen, Mary McDougall’s tips for changing your lifestyle:
- Making the change to a healthy lifestyle work in your life, part 1 – includes tips for getting started and how to deal with resistance from friends and family
- Making the change to a healthy lifestyle work in your life, part 2 – includes tips about meal planning and shopping
- Making the change to a healthy lifestyle work in your life, part 3 – includes cooking techniques for legumes, cooking without oil and use of seasonings.
- The McDougall Program Free Resources – a useful list of all the free resources provided by the McDougall program
PlantPlate – excellent articles written to help you transition to plant-based eating. Check out these links:
PCRM – Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine:
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diets – links to factsheets, starter kit and the 21-day Vegan Kickstart Program
See also: Websites
Page created 27 November 2014
Page last updated 22 March 2017